Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Jacked up Religion...

Well I am taking the context of this on the word of a friend, but I actually asked him to send me a photograph of the page when he read it to me. He did, so I know that the statement is in the book. I sure hope the reader misunderstood it.

The friend was reading for a class at a very popular Christian Institution of Higher Education. He was reading from a text book when he came across this statement - "We must admit that cults represent "the unpaid bills of the church."

He called me to share with me his shock at that statement.... and I was truly blown away. It is surprising that I am still (because they unfortunately are normal for many in religion) shocked by comments like those, but I am.

How far off purpose, and off direction do we have to get to be thinking about the "unpaid bills of the church" when we are thinking about people in cults? Truth is... I am not so bothered by the thought, but I am blown away by the decision to put that very thought into writing. I too have terrible thoughts from time to time... but I don't say or write everything I think. And yes I do write some dumb things... sorry for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I understand the statement. What does it mean? Does it mean that cults are helping to pay the bills of the church? Does it mean cults are a result of the fact that the church hasn't paid her bills? Is it metaphorical? I don't get it.