Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Can man purify himself...?

With the Christmas season just behind us, I thought I would take a minute and share an interesting verse of scripture I came across in my preparation for Christmas Sunday morning conversations at aplacetotalk.

I was thinking about Christmas and why Jesus came when I came across 1 John 3:5 "You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin." We always think about Jesus' birth and we teach that Jesus came to forgive our sins. But is it possible that Jesus didn't need to come to forgive our sins? I am just thinking out loud right now - so don't label me a heretic. This isn't meant to be a theological dissertation but just a normal guy (just josh) thinking out loud and if you want to think along with me you are welcome to do so... otherwise, read someone else's blog they may write more confidently.

Anyway is it possible that God / Jesus could have offered forgiveness without coming to earth? But He came to earth in order to destroy the works and power of sin?

The other thought is this.... "Can man purify himself?"

The instant response and obvious response is no, but as I studied this passage 1 John 3 - I noticed verse 3 "Everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure."

Anyway... those are just some thoughts as we finish up the Christmas season and prepare for the New Year.

For me - I am going to make a conscious effort to fix my hope on the idea that Jesus came to destroy sin and take it away! Maybe by doing so my life will grow in purity.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments: