Monday, August 24, 2009

It's a miracle

On Saturday August 15th, 2009 my family and I were heading to Palm Coast Florida to spend a week on vacation. I certainly felt like I needed a vacation, but I am not sure that I appreciated the time off like I should have.

That Saturday was the second day of our journey. On Friday we had traveled from Hickory or Newton to Saint Augustine with a couple of hours stop in Jacksonville, Florida to have dinner with some friends. (We had a great time catching up with Anthony and Angie Poole by the way.)

Anyway, I am writing to make a point, I better get to it. We borrowed my in-law’s GPS to make this trip but the address of the resort where we were to stay wasn’t on the GPS. In the process of contracting the resort I found the street that was on the GPS, but I had entered the wrong street number. I knew this but kept thinking I would correct it closer to our arrival.

As we were getting close we passed this sign. The sign was really big, beautiful and extravagant in the mind of my 5 year old daughter (she’ll be six by the time I post this) and it read “PALM COAST RESORTS”. As we drove by she said “wow, wouldn’t it be amazing if we could stay there!” I heard her, but didn’t think a thing about it as we drove past. After a few more minutes of driving maybe 2 – 3 miles, I remembered that I had entered the wrong address just as the GPS said we had arrived. By looking at the house numbers I realized that we had already passed the place where we were scheduled to stay. At that moment I wondered, “How will Faith respond if that was where we will be staying?” (Thanks to my parent’s time share we were blessed to be able to vacation at a resort that we couldn’t afford on our own. Thanks mom and dad.)

As I turned back toward the big sign, I quickly realized that it would be our home for the next seven nights. Right then I said “Faith, I think we are staying at that place. What would you think if we did get to stay there?” She said “Dad! It’s a miracle!”

Sometimes I wonder if we miss, or simply overlook the great things God provides us. Do you think it is because we get so used to just living life and thinking that we provide for ourselves without recognizing that everything is a gift of God? When was the last time we thanked God for our health, our family, and our friends?

No comments: