Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Recommended by a friend

I’m on vacation in Palm Coast, Florida. Relaxing is nice. I have started three of five books that I plan to read while here, and one of them clearly stands out above the rest – “Killing Cockroaches and other Scattered Musings on Leadership.” Although I will probably never post a blog related to a particular reading from this book, simply because of its nature, I am really enjoying it.

This morning (over a week ago when I post this blog – I am choosing not to pay for the internet here, because I need a break from internet and email as well as other things) I took two of my books to the pool to read while the kids swam, but I intentionally didn’t take Killing Cockroaches because I wanted to make myself read the other books. However as I was walking back from the pool I was anxious to read another section of that interesting book.

I am sharing about this because of the nature with which I discovered “Killing Cockroaches”. Before vacation I carved out a full two hours to sit at Barnes and Noble and read the first few pages of dozens of books, in order to find the ones I wanted to read on vacation. I choose 4 through that process. Later that same day I decided to call a friend and ask him what the best book he had read lately was, and yes you guessed it – Bob Templeton said “Killer Cockroaches.”

Bottom line… I probably should have asked more friends about what they are reading that I should read!

This entire story reminds me as to why Jesus gave us one another! By the way it’s Sunday, and we didn’t go to a Sunday morning club and we aren’t going tonight either. Truth is… I get frustrated attending most Sunday morning clubs during the typical Sunday morning worship hour. I enjoy the worship, and sometimes I learn a lot in the message, but I almost always want to raise my hand, interrupt the speaker and ask questions. Participating in a dialogue to me is so much better than listening to a lengthy lecture. With Hebrews 10:25 in mind – If your “assembling together with other believers” doesn’t include encouraging one another you might be missing the whole point!

No comments: