Friday, September 4, 2009

Absolutes!

Absolutes!

We went to the beach today; it is about a five minute drive from our condo. It was a public beach and the parking was right up to the sand. Short walk beautiful beach. We caught probably 100 little crab like things. We were calling them crabs but we didn’t really know what they were. A lady walked by and saw them – her first language was Spanish and she said she didn’t know what to call them in English, but she said water cockroaches. They were so easy to catch; you could catch ten at a time by picking up big handfuls of sand. With a bucket if you scooped up sand in the right place you might catch twenty in one bucket of sand.

That public beach didn’t have lifeguards and did have quite a few rocks. They were large rocks and with Bill and Anna heading toward the states the water was somewhat rough. After about 10 minutes in the ocean I told the boys that this was the hardest waves I had ever seen. Just a few minutes later I realized that that statement probably wasn’t true but I had already spoken it. That got me to thinking…. Why is it that I am so quick to think, or speak in absolutes? What do you think? Is it our culture? Is it my sick competitive nature? Just a thought…

Speaking of absolutes, today Bret Favre announced that he would be quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings this year! Now how many times has he been absolutely retired?

1 comment:

theoutsyder83 said...

Interestingly enough, I'm the exact opposite. I find myself saying stuff like, "Don't quote me on that" and "I'm pretty sure" all the time. In fact, I make it a point not to be absolute in order to avoid lying.

Of course, sometimes I wonder if I've taken the idea too far and now I'm just more vague than I need to be.